Monday 31 March 2014

Day 237 - A Ferry, Two Trains and a Stopover in Ipoh


It was still dark when I got up and left the hotel, despite it being after 6:00 in the morning. It has mostly to do with Malaysia being on a different timezone than Thailand and in my view they seem to be about 1h off because it only gets light after 7:00 in the morning. Nothing much happens either in the morning whereas in Thailand, Vietnam and other countries I visited where there is a lot of hustle and bustle going on from 5:00 already.





Whether is was light or dark didn't matter as I had to get the ferry to Butterworth and there hope to get a ticket for the Train to Ipoh, if not go and get a bus instead.




The ferry ride early in the morning was nice, I really like it at this time og day, despite me bibng too lazy to get up hat early on most days.




I managed to get a train ticket to Ipoh and slept through most of the train ride there, once the rain arrived in Ipoh, I went out to take some photos before realising that it would be best to get a train ticket for KL first.




Since most trains were still fully booked, I had to wait 4h for the next available train and had to pay extra because it was one of their KTM Gold trains with less stops.




Still, Ipoh was nice to hang out for a few hours and I could have also easily spent the night there if needed. The old part of town is very nice and reminded me a bit of George Town, although the traffic is a lot worse on some streets.




The train to KL was a new high speed train and very comfortable although as usual in Asia they overdid it with the AC and it blasted on full power so it felt like being in a freezer. A note to train and bus operators in Asia, it is possible to actually regulate the AC and it does not just have a 'OFF' or 'FREEZE' setting.



Once I got to Kuala Lumpur station, I walked to my hotel in Chinatown and headed out for a walk and to take some photos.
I also went to check out the price for a Type Cover 2 keyboard for my Surface at Low Yat Plaza since the Malaysian keyboard layout is the same as in the US and prices here were supposed to be very cheap.


No comments:

Post a Comment