Saturday 7 January 2012

R-D1 People


It has been quite a while since I used my Epson R-D1, or any other camera beside the GXR A12-M for that matter, so I dusted it off and took it out for a walk equipped with the Voigtlander Nokton f1.2 35mm lens. The lens surely looks more at home on the larger R-D1 than it does on the GXR A12-M but what I found very interesting is that the pictures look like it was a completely different lens that I used. The character seems different to a degree and it shows a higher degree of fringing next to the usual vignetting.

Framing and focusing on a rangefinder is not the most accurate or easiest thing, especially in low light and after being used to Mode 2 on the GXR. I still enjoy using the R-D1 and it's almost like going back in time.

This is a series of pictures I took at the Tate Modern and Borough market, I do like the crisp images from the R-D1 and the noise character but they are more rough and not on the same level as the GXR A12-M.





4 comments:

  1. Hoi Cristian.
    As a user of the R-D1 myself (mostly with an sum micron 35mm) I have bought myself a panasonic GF2 with an M adapter and use the same lens. The color and character of the picture is totally different. In my case the R-D1 give warmer pictures then the Panasonic and also then the pictures of the M6 I used before. Its in my opinion still an underestimated camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The R-D1 is a very nice camera and can produce great images with a different look and character. It has some problems but most are related to the RF. It's a shame Epson or Voigtlander never made a R-D2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the lighting, how did you get that effect? It looks too subtle for a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Iesha!

    The pictures are all taken without flash, the Epson RD1 does not even have a flash. The fast f1.2 lens and high ISO is what made them work despite the low light.

    ReplyDelete