Wednesday 21 January 2009

One Year Later

GRD II, f5, 8 sec., ISO 80, RAW

Today is a special day for my blog, it becomes one year old :D. It is exactly one year since I started the blog and a lot has happened in between.

I got the idea to start the blog when a friend mentioned starting a "food diary" and taking pictures of food. This sounded like fun and I was looking for something in order to get myself motivated to take more pictures. At that time, I was carrying the GRD I around with me every day but did not use it sometimes for a whole week. This was a wasted opportunity in my view so a photo diary sounded like a good idea. This is how the name 'Ricoh GR-Diary' and this blog came to be.

I would have never expected to keep posting one picture every day for a whole year and, aside from some friends, I did not think people would be intersted to read my blog. I kind of expected to post a few pictures and then get bored and leave it. Taking and posting a picture every day became a lot of fun and I began to see things around me that I ignored or passed by before. It was not always easy and on some days I only had some mediocre pictures or had to improvise something but it was always fun.

What I would have never expected is the response I got and the fantastic people I met through my blog. Thank you for reading my blog and it was great to meet some of you in person, hope there will be more opportunities for this!

Meeting Ricoh representatives at Photokina, having the rare opportunity to visit the Ricoh factory during my trip to Hong Kong or getting cameras to review is something that might have never happened without me starting this blog. Here let me say again a bit thank you to Ricoh for making all of this possible!

Enough talk for now. I hope you enjoyed the blog so far, be it the pictures, my writing or maybe both? Whatever is was, I hope it was never boring.

8 comments:

  1. HBD to your blog. Your contribution to your daily post inspired a lot of people, including me. And, you are right about taking pictures with GRD that is really fun around the clock. Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Cristi!!!! A fantastic progression in the last year and hopefully full of energy for a second year. Keep up the fantastic work.

    I never thought my blog was a bit older (just a month apart though).

    Cheers,
    Wouter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments!

    Bhuminan, I am very glad my blog inspired you.

    Thanks Wouter, am full of energy for the next year :). It's funny but I always thought you had your blog for much longer. In this case, congratulations to you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey gratz on the 1 year milestone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tried to post a comment yesterday but failed (not sure if it was a problem with the site or my internet connection).
    Not too late to congratulate you on your blogs 1st birthday, but I guess I'm to late for the party:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments!

    Yesbuts, you're not too late to the party, there was no party as such. I hope we can arrange a meetup at some point so can have the party then ;).

    ReplyDelete