Saturday 13 December 2008

Rowing in Guangzhou

R10, f5.2, 1/125, ISO 80, JPG, 200mm

After the factory tour yesterday I decided to spend the day in Guangzhou. It is a crazy place and people are everywhere. This gave me the opportunity to take some of my best street shots. I know that this is a different picture and more a canal shot ;). The reason I chose this is because it is a stark contrast to the rest of my pictures as it's more calm and has warmer colors but also because it is a picture taken with the R10. You can find all other pictures as usual in the Dropbox gallery.
The R10 is very nice and capable but just does not work as well for me. The massive zoom is too much and the lens not fast enough. It is however very versatile and well built so I like using it.

8 comments:

  1. I rather like this image, very serene.
    Sometimes it is good to use a differing palette so to speak.
    I use my quirky Samsung L85 just so; when i go back to my GRD I my eye is refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Lilianna, the serene atmosphere of the scene and the picture was what made me take the picture and choose it for the picture of the day. It is a big contrast to the rest of Gunagzhou.

    Using a different camera to achieve a different look is very good and helps one not to become stale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cristi, agreed about the useful of change to avoid stagnation.
    Here is a link to a serene shot of Dallas of all paces (L85)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/colette_noir/3119774441/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice shot Lilianna. Very serene and almost b&w with subtle color.
    I find it interesting how a differen camera leads you to see things differntly and take different pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cristi,
    I was awakened far too early by my Kitty and looked out and saw this lovely scene; the Samsung was on my nightstand and so closest to hand.
    It is fortunate that the "draw" of this sensor suited this scene so well.
    How do you like the R10 btw?
    Popflash has them on huge sale, so tempting.
    Ethically, I am drawn to minimalism in gear (plus I am lazy about bulk/weight) so single solution for everyday carry appeals muchly :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liliana, This is why having a camera ready is always a good thing.
    Contrary to what DP Review say that R10 is an excelent camera and gives great results if you use the camera within it's limits. The zoom range is very usefull but the best things are the excelent controls and build. I hope to have my review up in the next days. So far I can only recommend it as an allround, everyday camera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christi,

    A new comment for an old image!

    Looking through your old images, I really noticed this one. It certainly stands out. I love these kinds of concrete and urban shots, with people surviving amongst great engineered cityscapes. Not pretty, but powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comment Bill and also for taking the time to look through my old posts!

    ReplyDelete