Monday 22 December 2008

Itsy Bitsy Spider

GX200, f6.3, 180 sec., ISO 64, RAW, 72mm

Ok, it get's dark early and it is grey when it's light so it's not the best time for outdoor photography. On the other hand it is a good time to experiment a bit. I saw this spider in front of my window a few months back but did not have a tripod to help stabilizing the camera. Now with my new small and flexible tripod and a chair it was possible to use a 3 minute exposure to get this shot. The most difficult part was manually focusing in darkness where the LCD was almost completely black. Processed it to get the look I wanted, including adding noise and vignetting.

9 comments:

  1. This looks like a classic...great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I really like this experiment. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks James and Wouter! I wanted to find a opportunity to use the 3 minute exposure of the GX200 for a while and this was a very good occasion. Tried taking it with the R10 but at f5.2 and a maximum exposure of 8 seconds I could not quite get the same result I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great image, especially like the tree in the background as it makes the image creepier, shame about the handle at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Adrian, I really wanted that tree in the picture, I am glad it was not too windy so there is no movement from the branches.
    I was not sure about the handle and went back and forth between cropping it out or leaving it in. At the end I decided to leave it in to get a better scale of things. Might be worth posting a version of this without the handle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 minutes! Remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yesbuts, the 3 minute max exposure on the Ricoh GRD and GX series is one of their unique capabilities and makes them quite versatile for night shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing picture. Great perspective and I love the subject. Well done.

    ReplyDelete