Monday 8 December 2008

Change Given

GRD, f4, 1/250, ISO 1600, JPG b&w

Ok, I just love the GRD I for street photography. I know, I said it before but there is no better camera out there. The JPGs at ISO 400 and 1600 look great, grainy but very crisp and with lots of detail. The huge depth of field and instant shutter release are also very helpful and allow me to look for photo opportunities and compose my shot rather than worry about various things. The GRD I never gets in the way and I can rely on it to take the shot when I want to.
Having both the GX200 and GRD I with me in HK is great as it helps making clear what I really want and expect from a camera.

HK is great for street photography and especially in the evening you can get some great shots. I can only recommend you walk around and step away from the main roads and into the dark and narrow side streets, this is where you get some great shots of people and the gritty stuff :).

4 comments:

  1. Love the grains!

    Have you tried the street food?

    Hong Kong street scenes at daytime and night-time can be very different. Have you stayed in Mongkok late at night? It's so exciting to take street photos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your experiences with these cameras are creating a greater understanding, as you are one of the very best representatives of users. You have even probably sold a ton of GX200s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprising lack of noise at ISO 1600. The G9 is pushed to its limit at 800.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks mike, the noise looks fantastic and I love pushing the ISO on the GRD I.
    Haven't yet managed to go to the night market but will do soon. Tried some street food but only pastries ;).

    Thanks James, I will post my opinion when I'm back. Tom found the perfect camera I'm looking for and this is the Contax G2.

    Yesbuts, with the GRD I you can easily go to ISO 1600. So much even that I don't use ISO 800 most of the time.

    ReplyDelete