Friday 14 November 2008

Two People and Two Macros






This is another day with the R10 and I am still quite impressed by it and so was the guy at Jacobs when I went to pick up my GR1 pictures. Went for a walk during my lunchtime and tried to take various pictures with the R10. The best thing is how versatle this camera is, from wideangle to extreme closeup, everything is possible in a very small package. I was quite impressed with how well it performes. Sure, the IQ is not great and the lens is slow but it is the price to pay for having such a wide zoom range in a small package. None of the pictures is post processed, only one is cropped to 16:9 format and all are shot at ISO 80 or ISO 100.
Finally managed to pick up my pictures from the development but to be honest I am very disapointed, both with the prints and the bad quality JPGs they put on the CD. I just can't see film being worthwile since GRD I prints looked better, there is not sign of better dynamic range or better colors in the prints. The only visible difference is the shallow DOF but this can be worked around even with the GRD. Will replace and post the pictures tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I can not resist photographing the two old jib crane by Custom House. The gears and the rusty pitted chains.

    It is so difficult to get coloured film processed. I took a film in to a well know chain of camera shops, not the one you mentioned, but it does start start with 'J'. The results were so poor they offered to have the prints re-printed for free, equally bad results, as with the third attempt. That's what you get with batch processing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see we both like to photograph old and rusty things. There is something special about this as compared to new shiny and clean things. I feel they have more character.

    Getting colored film processed is a challange and the other chain with J almost lost my film once so I try not to use them. But if you think colored film is difficult to get processed properly you should try b&w film. B&w film looks fake digital and smudgy if printed by the usual process they use now and it takes 1 week to process at that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cris,

    I'm really surprised that you found the GR1 pictures disappointing? Some time ago, I took one roll of ISO400 film with GR1v. If nothing else, the photos are less noisy at the same ISO and mainly, much sharper than GRDII files. I had to do a lot of sharpening over the GRD files with not nearly as good results as I got from scanned film. If there is camera in the digital world that is close to GR1v scanned result, then it's DP1 ;) I see very similar characteristic of sharpness. I now clearly see the advantage of non-bayer camera ;) I will post some GRDII/GR1v comparisons photo at forum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad about the film results but you made that R10 sing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks James, the R10 is very capable and I was impressed as to how versatile it is.

    Pavel, the GR1 pictures are nice but the scans and prints are really bad since it's all done in a digital process and the scans are only 1MP in resolution. This is mostly due to the processing labs here. If it's affordable it's done cheap and it shows, or you pay a lot of money but this would mean after processing 10 rolls of film you can almost buy yourself a new Rx camera.
    As to the DP1 and Foveon characteristics, it is nice but to me does not look like film to me. It has a similar characteristics but is too oversaturated and looks too sharp, almost oversharpened. Also it is unusable over ISO 400 due to color loss and green blotchy noise issues. At low ISO however it is very good and the main thing for me would be the high dynamic range and different character.
    I surely hope with Sigma buying Foveon this will improve. Would like to have a Foveon camera, if it is only for the different look I can get for my pictures.
    Looking forward to your comparison.

    ReplyDelete