Saturday 30 August 2008

The Scribblings on the Wall

GRD, f5, 1/410, ISO 100, JPG

A post from Hilden in Germany today. Am spending the weekend here so this is why I did not have much time for posting on my blog.
The weather was great and a very nice change from all the grey skies in London. Took this picture while walking around town. I liked how she stood in front of the wall and the colors. However, I do not like stupid scribblings on walls. If people want to spray graffitti on a wall, they should do something more interesting. How about a nice drawing, a social commentary Banksy style or just a interesting or meaningful message written in nice letters? But not just stupid scribblings. This is not art, it is no social commentary and nothing meaningful. It is just vandalism and for this people should be punished harder. This was my social commentary on my blog where I can have my own scribblings on the net ;).

5 comments:

  1. I don´t know - if it´s a public wall, for me it´s okay to paint it, expressing your thoughts. I really like Banksy, but anyway he´s (imho) hyped too muched. The message should be the first thing to spread - so "Antifa" (=Anti-fascism) is great with me....

    If you come to Cologne, tell me, so we can meet for a photo session... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are both away from London - so whose looking after the place? Just realised Boris has been left there by himself. :(

    I agree about mindless graffiti. And these snotty-nosed pimple-faced hooded paintcan toting Neanderthals do not even respect good street art - they have daubed tags on the paintings left after the Cans Festival held in Leake Street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delacruz, you are right that it is a public wall and people should be free to express their thoughts. I am all up for it but could people not be a bit more creative when expressing their thoughts? I like the message but scribblings on walls make a neighbourhood look bad and neglected so expressing an opinion with more style (see Banksy etc.) would be a better idea. Banksy might be overrated but he is creative in expressing his thoughts.

    I will be in Cologne for Photokina on the 26th September. We could meet there or afterwards for an evening shoot in Cologne. Haven't been there for a few years now.

    Yesbuts, I am affraid no one is looking after the place now and Boris can run free and do some mischief ;).

    I see, we have the same feelings about mindless graffitti but appreciate "street art".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cristian, you´re right about creativity in street paintings. The effect too much bad graffiti has on a neighborhood can be damaging indeed.

    The photo-walk sounds great, although I´m not sure if I gonna be in Cologne at the end of september. If so, I will drop you a mail, so we can see if the plan works out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will let you know in advance and we can see how it works out. Same for you, if you're in London let me know and we'll meet up.

    ReplyDelete