Thursday 24 July 2008

My Own Small World


GRD II, f5.6, 1/400, ISO 80, RAW

I really liked this scene when I saw it and could not resist taking a picture of it.

Today, Ricoh released the new firmware update for the GRD II. It offers the following function enhancements:
- Auto aperture setting to avoid overexposure,
- White balance adjust option like in the R8 and GX200
- Noise reduction on only when over ISO 400, 800 or only at ISO 1600

Of all these features I expected the NR option to finally bring some change to the smearing but I've been wrong, jpgs are still unusable although slightly better. Tested with two GRD II's next to each other and the one with the new firmware had slightly more noise and was sharper but this could have been just different metering. The GRD I produced better but underexposed images at the same settings.

The Auto Aperture setting works as long as you don't reach the lowest aperture and fastest shutter speed or the camera will crash. So not really usable in all instances and could cause you to miss shots.

The WB adjust option was the feature I thought least useful since the jpgs are not really useful for me and it looked too slow to adjust when shooting. The good news is that it is the best feature and pretty fast and easy to adjust when shooting. Yes, the jpgs are not usable and it does not apply to RAW files but it's a cool idea.
Be aware that you can adjust it during shooting even when using RAW but during playback only when using jpg WITHOUT RAW. Also as mentioned, the settings do not apply to RAW even if you select camera WB.

The other enhancements were not really important for me. Like displaying the correct ISO when using Auto ISO or Auto High ISO.

4 comments:

  1. Intereting shot, well spotted. The one thing I am really enjoying about your pictures is the fact that there are allways several "layers" of action. There is the main subject, generally well spotted, and then there are actually things happening around it, sometimes interacting or reacting to the main subject. Sometimes very subtle, but they are there..Makes the pictures really interesting and enjoyable.

    What´s next?? ;-)

    Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Erik, I always try to get "more" in my pictures as far as possible. Sometimes it works (like here) but sometimes it is distracting and I end up deleting the picture if I cant make it work.

    But as mentioned in another post, this is why I love small sensor cameras and the huge DOF they offer. Am not a fan of shallow DOF since this takes away the other layers in a picture and in my opinion makes them a bit lifeless.

    Not sure what will come next, never plan that far ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent photograph Cristi. And it is great that Ricoh supplied some usefull features to the new firmware. The white balance adjustment reminds me of my old and ancient Olympus.

    Wouter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Wouter.

    Panasonic has something similar in the LC1 but it does not work as good or as fast and is more limited. If the jpgs would be better it would be a even more usefull addition.

    ReplyDelete