Monday 9 June 2008

LC1 Day

LC1, f5.6, 1/1600, ISO 100, JPG, 90mm

LC1, f2.8, 1/80, ISO 100, JPG, 90mm

I am going to cheat today and not post any GRD or any Ricoh picture. Instead I will post not one but two LC1 pictures. I used the LC1 exclusively today and tried out various things with it. It works very well although the focus is quite slow, not DP1 slow ;) but not as fast as either GRD. Also the EVF has an additional lag so is not the best tool for composition if capturing the decisive moment is required. The LCD works fine though and there is no shutter lag when using manual focus.
Overall the camera needs a different approach and is not forgiving at all of focus errors and is heavy (for someone who used mostly compacts so far). What is great though is to be able to see all the important settings by just looking at the camera without the need of the EVF or LCD. The manual focus and zoom with the rings around he lens work great and are the best way to have this implemented.
I am having a lot of fun with this camera and will continue using it as often as I can. It won't replace any of my GRDs though ;).

As some might notice, the woman on the 2nd picture wears the same dress and shoes then the one in my 'Street Crossing' picture.

6 comments:

  1. I especially like the second photograph despite the cluttered background. It seems al well organized and pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I wanted to get the cluttered background in there and have the persons take only a small part of the image.
    The first image was a bit of a test with a slightly underexposed image as to how far I can push it and how a color jpg to b&w conversion looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cristi, I wuld not mind seeing more LC1 pictures on this blog, as a painter you would also use different tools.. Restriction is an lesser freedom.

    I also like the second image, it tells a story, or at least makes you wonder about the contact between the two persons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Ronald.
    I will definitely use and post some more pictures from the LC1. I like the different approach to it and the very film like IQ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you would succumb and end up posting LC1 pictures here... :-)

    I´m also glad you did..The first thing I thought when I saw the second picture was: did they know each other or was the guy doing his best..(and succuessfully at that..). Nice intriguing picture, and I personnaly like the surroundings of the story..

    Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, you were right Erik. Could not resist to use it exclusively for a day to get used to it.
    Thanks for your comment, I thought exactly the same when I saw this and had to turn back and take the picture. They knew each other as far as I could tell when walking past. Then again, some things are better left to the imagination ;).

    ReplyDelete