Monday 26 May 2008

Color in Budapest

GRD II, f2.4, 1/40, ISO 80, RAW

GRD II, f6.3, 1/250, ISO 80, RAW, 40mm

Ok, I break my rule again of posting only one picture per day but I could not decide between those two and I needed some color on my pictures from Budapest. Ok, the first picture might not be full of color and more b&w but it does have some color ;).
I really like the mood in the first picture and the symmetry in the second picture, I chose a slower shutter speed for it since I wanted minimal motion blur in it.
Budapest is a very nice place with great food and great architecture, there is a lot to see and a lot to take pictures of. The biggest issues it has is with graffitti everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE in the city and no bike lanes means you have to dodge bikes all the time.
As for my camera comparisons I have to say that even with all annoyances the GRD II is still the better camera. I used it more simply because the IQ is better, it is faster, more responsive and the screen is great. The screen must be one of the best I have seen in cameras but this also brings the biggest issue along. When reviewing pictures on it (or the jpgs on the UMPC) I could not help but notice how good and crisp the GRD I, GX and GX100 images look (even on their own screens) and how disapointed I was when looking at the GRD II images. The jpgs are really bad and completely useless, especially in low light. Where I have no problems using the GRD I up to ISO 1600 and use the jpg after running it through Noise Ninja it is impossible on the GRD II.
Another most annoying thing is that the screen on the GRD II freezes when focusing (yes, exactly like the crappy screen on the DP1) but for some strange reason only when in spot or multi AF and when there is daylight. Let me explain, the screen does not freeze in low light (and the GRD II focuses very fast and accurate in low light) nor does it freeze when focusing in a room in daylight as long as you don't point it to the window. At the same time it freezes when used in the shade outside even if there is no bright light visible. Ricoh needs to address this since it obviously does not need to freeze since it does not do it all the time. This should not happen and I criticised the DP1 for it and will criticize the GRD II even more since I expect better from Ricoh.

2 comments:

  1. I think the first photograph is outstanding. It works well in colour, and would have worked well in B&W too.
    The second photographs is a bit too dull IMO. A different angle, maybe lower, would have done it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wouter.
    The first is also my favorite from that day.
    I like the 2nd but you are right, it is a bit dull and lacking something. believe indeed a lower angle or different angle would have worked better.

    ReplyDelete