Sunday 13 April 2008

Council Flats at 1600

GRD II, f2.4, 1/13, ISO 1600, RAW

The title refers to the ISO setting I used and this was a test more than anything. It is the first time I used this on the GRD II and I can say that I definitely need a different processing for this. I knew quite well how to process ISO 1600 files from the GRD I to make them look acceptabl even in color but the GRD II is more difficult since it has a different noise pattern. The picture in b&w did not really look better so I need to find a way to get more out of the files. Was a good experiment though and you can even see the "Ricoh Blue" in the sky, a feature that I really like and unique to Ricoh cameras. Overall the image is not great and shows the limits of the small sensor but for an experiment quite good. I have to say that the GRD I performed better at this ISO in b&w and color at first look. Need to make a few tests on this for my review.

2 comments:

  1. It holds up so well at ISO 1600. I started to prefer working with ISO 200 instead. Beautiful fine noise (like grain) and works great with colours too.

    Thank you for the photos :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Wouter. I was surprised how well it holds up but had problems getting the blue areas noisefree without destroying the details in the branches.

    You're welcome about the photos.

    ReplyDelete