Wednesday 26 March 2008

Big Fish

GRD II, f2.4, 1/200, ISO 400, RAW

Been out to visit the Imperial Palace and walking around Tokyo but I won't post a picture of the palace today. Instead I decided for this shot. Took it with the GRD II and the standard 28mm lens. I was so close to the fish with the camera to the fish that the yellow one jumped out and grabbed the lens. I pressed the shutter the same second but the damn focus priority of the GRD II made me miss the shot. Now I can live with the crappy jpg quality but Ricoh has to fix this really fast, the GRD I and GX100 are perfect in this respect. I need to send an email to Ricoh regarding this as for me it's a big limitation.
While I might sound that I don't like the GRD II let me say that this is not the case. It's great but I am setting high standards and expecting a lot. Once I am back from holiday I will write a review of both. So far I am using the GRD II more but it can't replace the GRD I for me, good that the cameras are small so I can have both with me.

5 comments:

  1. You have an impressive load of Ricoh camera now. I love to see a review from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shot, but what is this "focus priority" that you keep talking about?? Did something change between GRD & GRD-II with focusing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wouter. Will do one as soon as I am back, have a lot to write about.
    Regarding your question, this is a yes but I'll also respond to your mail.

    Kaigr, the focus priority is when the camera waits to take the shot till it finishes focusing if you fullpress the shutter. The GRD II does that while the GRD I took the shot no matter what and more often than not is was perfectly in focus. This is the biggest downgrade for me although I can work around it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a shame - I can see how that would irritate. Luckily, I'm so used to half-pressing the shutter with my SLR that maybe I won't even notice this issue -- hope so, anyway. Have fun over there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kai, if you do it this way you won't have any problems with it. I need to adapt to this but complained to Ricoh about this.
    Thanks, was great but am on my way back now :(.

    ReplyDelete