Tuesday 6 August 2013

Photo-Blogger Abroad

Click on the map for the interactive version.


What do you do if you are a bit fed up with work and the same routine day in, day out? Easy, you quit your job and do something crazy and fun for a while.

This is what I decided a while ago, you might have noticed my blog updates were mostly from Greenwich rather than the City and I dropped hints with my visa applications.

Well, today is my last day in London and tomorrow is the first day of my travels around the world. At least around the world is the plan for now, you can see the map with destinations above.

All going to plan I will visit all of the above places and hope to take not only lots of photos but also blog about it and give you an idea how it is to plan a journey like this.
The journey itself will be done with trains, buses and ferries as much as possible. The itinerary might change from what you see above and on this spreadsheet but this is to be expected on a long journey.
If you live or are somewhere on my route let me know as I am always happy to meet up for drinks and some photography.

If you are curious what I am taking along for the journey, next to a backpack with clothes that is, wonder no more and look below.

Lots of foreign money from previous trips, Fonepad for phone and tablet duties, Microsoft Surface for blogging and writing, Ricoh GR, Ricoh GXR with Heliar 15mm and Jupiter-8 50mm lenses, hard drive for backup, spare batteries and SD cards, travel adapters and cables plus a small travel mouse.

Eagle eyed readers might have noticed the new 'Donate' button in the top right corner, this is if you feel generous and want to donate anything towards the trip or the blog.
Since I don't like taking money without giving anything back, everyone who donates £5 more more will receive the ebook versions of my 'people with umbrellas' and the 'GRD III -  Serious Compact' books. I will also look for other things I can give back to anyone donating.

For an unfiltered view of my photos from the journey you can view my Flickr stream directly from my eye-fi card uploads here.

7 comments:

  1. All the best, Christian! Would very much enjoy a drink and photowalk when you're in Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your trip! I hope everything goes as planned and you get enough rest.

    If you ever find yourself in San Diego by any chance look me up for lunch and beers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    I will certainly be in Tokyo and will get in touch Martin.

    San Diego is not on the route but this could change.

    Will keep you updated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an amazing trip you have planned Cristian! I wish you safe and happy travels and look forward to following you here on your blog.

    All the best,

    James

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, Cristi. Keep safe.

    I look forward to seeing your progress and, given your photographic talent, I am sure I will feel as if I am walking in your footsteps through your photographs on this blog site.

    Are you travelling east to west or west to east?

    Have fun. I wish I had the courage and means to do the same. I must check my lottery ticket. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cristian,

    Have an interesting, enjoyable and especially safe trip around the world! DRUM BUN!!!

    Referring to your topic "My Workflow" I want to thank you for your program hints on Raw Therapee (which I already was using) and especially for pointing out FastStone (a program I didn't know about) which enables unbelievable quality not only on the PC screen but also on the huge TV LCD via PC connection.

    MULTUMESC FOARTE MULT!!

    Take care!

    Michael (Vienna)
    (my humble Romanian language knowledge dating from the time I was working as Austrian Airlines/Swissair station manager at Bucharest Otopeni airport between 1985 and 2000)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments!

    Calvin, a you probably know by now after my updates I am travelling east. Hope you enjoyed the photos so far.

    Multam Michael!
    Cu placere, I am glad you found my workflow post useful.

    ReplyDelete